Date(s) - 05/24/18 - 05/25/18
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
IIT Institute of Design
IIT Institute of Design
Thu, May 24, 2018, 8:30 AM – Fri, May 25, 2018, 3:30 PM
For better or worse, we all live in—and therefore must design for—a world of networked technologies. What are the human implications of experiences, services, and systems that rely on data, deepening digital engagement, and rapidly evolving machine intelligence? What do cultural concepts such as personal agency, trust, equity, and privacy mean as we create new ways of engaging with an increasingly networked world? How do we anticipate and prevent unintended consequences when developing these solutions? And how might engagement across disciplinary boundaries enable us to collectively grapple with shaping the future of data-reliant, complex, adaptive systems toward viable, just, and sustainable ends?
IIT Institute of Design (ID) invites you to explore the intersections of Design + Data + Behavior to discuss emerging data-driven futures in domains such as health care, financial services, and public policy, and to better enable us to wrestle with them. The changing role of design, and how it informs human-centered solutions, increasingly demands that designers re-orient toward “design and…” by problem solving with other disciplines. Together, we’ll explore real-world contexts where data and behavior change are already colliding, as well as new tools and methodologies to evolve our individual and collective points of view about how to navigate these futures.
Two days of learning and application
On May 24, we’ll explore fundamental issues facing the intersection of these fields, as well as domain-specific breakouts to get on-the-ground insight from organizations at the forefront:
- The techno-comprehension gap: Is there such as thing as informed consent in an age of data permeation?
- Behavioral biases: Not just for humans anymore
- Can’t we all just get along: False boundaries between “hard” analytics v. “soft” design
- Looking around corners: What’s the future of design + data + behavior?
On May 25, roll up your sleeves with topical, half-day continuing education workshops led by ID faculty and leading thinkers to get practice with new approaches and methods that you can apply directly to your own work. Modules include:
- Tools to facilitate sustainable, innovative and entrepreneurial systems design
- New approaches and ethical perspectives on testing
- Using behavioral science to develop scalable solutions for social impact
- Prototyping with data visualizations
- Designing wise, fair, and equitable tech: Methods to shape solutions and measure success
Who is this for?
Designers, strategists and business leaders from domains such as health care, financial services, policy, and others who navigate intersections of design, data, and behavior.
Special alumni and IIT pricing is available, contact Madeline Olszak for details.
Before Design Intersections
All Design Intersections attendees are invited to Then Now Next, a Gala celebrating IIT Institute of Design’s 80 years of design leadership the evening of May 23. Register